Growing yellow plum trees is really not all that difficult as long as you give them what they need! Plums are super healthy to eat by themselves, but they also make great jams, jellies, and desserts! Yellow plums, also called Mirabelle plums, are simply a different variety of plum tree, and they’re absolutely delicious and not hard to grow! If you’re interested in learning how to grow yellow plums, follow this easy gardening guide!
How to Grow Yellow Plums in Your Garden
Planting Yellow Plums:
- Plant seeds or seedlings in good quality, well drained soil.
- Choose an area with full sun and lots of space so that your plum tree can grow.
- Make sure that your soil has a pH of 5.5 to 6.5
- If possible, try growing the European yellow plum variety, as they are self-fruiting and you don’t need to plant several trees to get fruit.
- Make sure to plant somewhere where your tree can grow – yellow plum trees can reach a height of 16 feet, so keep away from other trees, plants, or structures.
Yellow Plum Tree Care:
- Apply 1 pound of organic fertilizer in March during the tree’s first and second year.
- Apply 1 cup of calcium nitrate in May during its first and second year as well.
- After the first two years, apply 2/3 cup of calcium nitrate in March and August.
- Give your plum tree plenty of water, especially during growing season.
- Lay mulch around to keep soil moist.
- Prune away any dead branches while the tree is growing.
Now that you know how to grow yellow plums, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and get to planting!
Like this post? Share and Pin 🙂