Growing apple trees doesn't just have to be for those who sell apples: you can actually grow your very own, personal apple tree directly in a pot! Apples are a delicious fruit to have and make amazing deserts, while also being high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Today we'll show you how to grow apple trees in pots the easy way! Follow our step-by-step guide below to get the best, most delicious apples you've ever had!
How to Grow Apple Trees in Pots Guide
Choosing a Variety:
- Unless you're planning on growing hectares of apple trees as a business, you should not grow an apple tree from seeds. Instead, head to your local nursery and purchase a dwarf or semi-dwarf grafted apple variety.
- Choose a self pollinating variety, as apple trees need require cross pollination. Or, you can also just purchase two trees for direct pollination. Buying a self pollinating variety is much easier though!
- Choose a standard sized pot (about 5-6 gallon), that is about 12 inches deep.
- Transplant your apple tree every year as it grows to bigger pots.
- Don't plant your apple tree directly in a big pot – start off small, and gradually change pots until your tree will no longer grow vertically, but rather horizontally (outwards).
- Your final pot should be a 20-25 gallon pot.
- Use fertile, well-draining soil. Use a potting mix that is rich in organic matter
- Place your apple tree in a sunny location free from other plants or trees. Apple trees like their own space.
- In hot summers, place your potted apple tree in a semi-shady spot.
- Apple trees requires cold winters and moderate summers. If you live in a tropical climate, your apple tree will have a hard time growing unless it's in a controlled medium.
- Water deeply and regularly, especially during growth.
- Avoid watering the foliage, and keep an eye out on your soil – apple trees are easily prone to root rot.
- Every 2 weeks during its growing period, give your potted apple tree a balanced liquid fertilizer.
- Prune as needed, to control the shape and size of your apple tree. Remove any dead foliage or branches.