Before planting lilacs, decide which type of lilacs you'd like to grow – there are many different varieties, so head on over to your local nursery and see which lilacs thrive in your climate!
Tips for Growing Lilacs
- Dig a hole that's just as deep as the rootball and twice the width, and mix in some compost into the hole.
- Use your fingers to gently loosen the rootball and uncoil any roots.
- Place the rootball into the hole, and be sure the top of the rootball is level with the surface of the surrounding soil.
- Form a rim of soil around the hole to create a watering basin. Water well to establish good contact with the roots and the soil.
- Plant lilacs in good quality, well draining soil.
- Lilacs prefer neutral to alkaline soils.
- Place your lilac plants in full sun – the more sun they get, the better!
- Water your lilacs regularly, especially during growing season.
- In dry spells, water the lilac tree twice a week.
Hopefully these lilac growing tips will help you have a beautiful lilac garden in no time!
Like this post? Share and Pin 🙂