There is nothing that drives us crazier than having our beautiful gardens ruined by insects, but this homemade garden insect repellent is here to solve those issues! Different types of insects seem to prefer different types of plants, and so it can be quite difficult finding that perfect repellent. Well we've found this amazing homemade garden insect repellent that seemed to work on all sorts of plants from herbs to vegetables and even flowers!
And if you have pets, this homemade repellent is especially great because it's 100% natural and safe, so you can spray spray spray those bugs away without having to worry about any possible harm done to those around you!
Homemade Garden Insect Repellent Recipe
- 2 heads of garlic
- 3 cups mint leaves
- 2 tsp dry cayenne pepper
- 12 cups water
- 2 squirts of biodegradable dish washing liquid
- To a food processor or blender, add the garlic and mint leaves.
- Pulse for a few seconds.
- Transfer the mixture to a large pot, and add the water and cayenne pepper.
- Bring this all to a boil, remove from heat, and let sit overnight.
- Strain the mixture into two spray bottles or a gallon sprayer and add a couple of squirts of biodegradable dish liquid.
- Shake well before each use.
How to Use The Homemade Garden Insect Repellent:
- Shake well before every use.
- Spray directly onto the affected leaves as well as underneath the leaves.
- Do this on a cloudy day or in the morning/night.
- Spray the plant only once and wait a few days to see if you need another application.
- Most often, you'll only need one or two applications.
- Wait a few days for harvest so you don't get any spicy residue from the cayenne.
Why This Works:
The combined scent of mint and garlic repels bugs away, making sure to keep them away for good!
Cayenne pepper will also repel the insects, and can also kill a lot of them, so if they rub up against the plant or taste it, they will die.
Like this post? Share and Pin 🙂